Shorter University - CIS1200 - Fall2012

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Goal Setting

Here during Week 4 one of our focuses is Goal Setting.

From http://www.austincc.edu/
I enjoyed reading the chapter on setting goals from our textbook: Orientation to College Learning by Dianna L. Van Blerkom.

I had not previously heard of the Seven Characteristics of Goals or the Five-Step Approach. I found the assignment in which I listed my own five-step approach to a college and life goal to be very helpful. I don't often type or write out my goals on paper, so being able to take time out from everything else and type my goal was a good way for me to visualize my goal and motivate myself. I feel like I would benefit from typing out other goals that I have using the Five-Step Approach. Planning my way around obstacles that might come up is a good way to ensure success.

From: http://www.healthylifestyleplus.com/
As a review and for future reference, here are the Seven Characteristics of Goals and the Five-Step Approach method in my own words:

The Seven Characteristics of Goals:
Self-Chosen: Your goals should be something that you truly want to do or achieve. It should not be only influenced by your friends or family. Your goals should make you happy first, and then others secondly.
Moderately Challenging: You should think about what you have achieved in the past and add a little more to that to challenge yourself to do more. Don’t over or under challenge yourself.
Realistic: Think about whether or not you can really achieve your goals. Are you dreaming or being hopeful, or can you really do it? Think in real terms of how to achieve the goal.
Measurable: Make your goals clear and specific, so that they can be compared to past and future successes.
Specific: Your goals should plainly state what it is you want to do. Be clear and certain of your goal, so there is no room for confusion or backing out.
Finite: You should set a time limit on your goals. A goal with endless time might ever be finished. Think realistically, and set a date for your goal to be finished.
Positive: State your goals in a positive manner, so you’ll feel more motivated to achieve them and more successful when you do.

The 5 Steps to Writing Effective Goals:
Write Your Goals Down: Clearly state what it is that you want or plan to do. Writing it out can help you visualize your exact goal.
Write Your Obstacles:  Think honestly about all the realistic factors that might come up and get in the way of your success. Clearly write down these obstacles.
Write Your Resources: Think of what will help you get around the obstacles you might face. Think of your own strengths, people that might be able to help you reach your goals, and the ways that you will succeed.
Write Your Motivations: When obstacles come up, think of what keeps you motivated. What will keep you going when the going gets tough? What will make your goals all worth it in the end?
Write Your Final Goal: After carefully thinking your original goal over, review and revise it if needed.


No comments:

Post a Comment