Shorter University - CIS1200 - Fall2012

Monday, September 10, 2012

Staying Motivated

This week I also learned some tips on staying motivated from the textbook, Orientation to College Learning by Dianna L. Van Blerkom.

From: http://kumardeepak.wordpress.com/2012/05/15/why-motivation-works-and-when/
Generally, most of the time, I'd like to think of myself as a fairly self-motivated person. However, I've noticed since high school that I usually start with high motivation at the beginning of school or start of a class, then I seem to suffer from a mid-point slump halfway, and become motivated again right before the final exam. I would really like to improve on this. Reading through the textbook, here are some things that I think would help me:

  1. During my long morning study block, I should switch subjects about every hour. Sometimes focusing on one subject for a long time can feel overwhelming. Feeling like I'm gradually making progress on both subjects would probably help me stay upbeat.
  2. Since I honestly know that I suffer from mid-point slump, I should schedule small, reasonable rewards for myself to stay motivated. Maybe having a small piece of chocolate after I complete my assignments or an hour to play a video game.
  3. I should learn to set better priorities. I want to do well on everything, but sweating the small stuff, or the smaller assignments, when I also have bigger, important exams and papers to work on, can lead to burn-out.

No comments:

Post a Comment