Shorter University - CIS1200 - Fall2012

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Test Taking Anxiety

Test taking anxiety can be tricky to overcome. I think that everyone has probably experienced one form of test anxiety or another, be it over a final exam or a major exam like the SAT or GRE, LSAT, MCAT, etc.

I generally notice that I am usually most anxious about the first exam of any class and the final exam. Normally, it seems that the first exam sets the stage of what to expect on future exams for the class. With the first exam it's easy to be nervous because I'm never sure if I've under studied or not. As for final exams, sometimes if they count of a large portion of my grade, I'll feel anxious because it could determine if my grade goes down a letter.

From: http://www.localschooldirectory.com/k-12-articles/87

While in high school and technical college, I used these strategies to cope:
  1. Don't arrive too early - I noticed that it was hard for me to focus on reviewing my notes as the other students filed in before the exams. So, I found it better to study in the library or in my car and arrive right on time.
  2. Take my vitamins - It's easy to get sick when your stressed and taking an exam while your sick can feel like a nightmare. Taking a multi-vitamin and vitamin C can help boost your immune system.
  3. Don't overeat - I was surprised to read in this week's wikiHow article on "How to Ace a Test" that guys do better on tests with a slightly empty stomach and ladies do better on a full stomach...I must not be a typical test taker, because I've noticed if I eat a heavy meal before a test and I'm nervous, I'll end up feeling sick. So for me, I usually eat something light on test day, like apple slices or toast.
  4. Aromatherapy - Lavender is a scent that is claims to be calming. It could just be a placebo effect, but wearing a lavender scented lotion or body spray has made me feel better in the past.
Here are some tips that I read this week that might help me in the future:
  1. Repeat a positive mental script - I'd do well to give myself a mental pep-talk and think "STOP IT" when I have negative thoughts.
  2. Answer the questions I know first - This would probably help calm me and motivate me that I'm doing well and I can handle the other, more tricky questions.
  3. Use visualization - Visualizing myself doing well on the test would also be helpful. Since I'm an online student now, it's easier to know that test taking area is going to be a quiet space.
  4. Go with my first answer on the exam - I really need to follow this advice. I'm bad about going back and changing my answers at the last minute. Then, afterwards, when the test is graded, I'll notice that my first choice was right. I don't need to over-think the answers, just go with the one that I recognize first.

No comments:

Post a Comment